Caron Cakes Infinity Scarf Crochet Pattern, Kaleidoscope Infinity Scarf

Crochet Infinity Scarf Pattern using Caron Cakes Yarn
After the huge popularity of my Ocean Waves Scarf crochet pattern using Caron Cakes Yarn, I picked up another skein. This time I chose colorway jelly roll for its stark contrast. The cake pop I used had subtle color changes that flowed seamlessly while this colorway switches colors abruptly to make a bold statement.
Infinity scarves are very popular with the younger crowd. They are so versatile and will add spice to any wardrobe. I used a lacy pattern to give it more drape and elegance. This is one pattern you can wear well into the spring. I hope you enjoy making it.
Pattern
 1. Worsted weight variegated yarn. I used one ball of Caron Cakes in color Jelly Roll.
 2. Hook J (6 mm)
 3. Tapestry needle to weave in the ends.
65 inches around and 9 inches wide
3 Shells= 4 1/2 inches long
3 Shell Rows= 3 inches tall
Start making your scarf and measure for gauge after you have 4 rows of shells.Yardage
Used less than one ball of Caron Cakes.
dc- double crochet
Shell: 3dc worked into the same chain or stitch
Note: The Scarf is made as a very long rectangle and seamed at the ends to turn it into an infinity scarf. Initial ch is a multiple of 6+2.
Row 1: Chain 38, 1 sc in 2nd chain from hook, *(sk 2 chs, shell in next, ch 2, sk 2, 1 sc in next), repeat from * till end, turn.————6 shells
Row 2: Ch 5 ( ch 3 counts as first dc), 1 sc in first dc of next shell, *(ch 5, 1 sc in first dc of next shell), repeat till the last shell, ch 2, sk 2, 1 dc in last st, turn.
Row 3: Ch 1, 1 sc in same st as ch 1, *(shell in next sc, ch 2, 1 sc in 3rd ch of next ch-5 loop), repeat from * a total of 5 times, shell in last sc, ch 2, 1 sc on top of beginning ch 3, turn.———6 shells
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you have finished 5 color blocks. Your finished scarf is supposed to have a total of 6 color blocks. The next color on your skein will be the same as the first color block. So fasten off after the 5th block and join a different color from the leftover yarn. I used the cream part. You can choose whichever color you want from the leftover yarn from the cake.
Repeat rows 2 and 3 with the new color joined and end in a shell row. Your scarf should be nearly 65 inches long when this color is finished. Fasten off with a 15-inch tail.

Finishing

Bring the first and last color blocks together on the wrong side, use yarn tail and a tapestry needle to sew them together only at the points shown. This will maintain the lacy texture. In the gaps, run your yarn through only one of the sides.

Enjoy your new Infinity scarf!
——————

Check out our collection of crochet patterns: Pattern Gallery

1. January 27, 2017 / 5:07 pm

Thanks for this – i have that yarn & wasnt sure what to do with it.

January 31, 2017 / 8:41 pm

Help, at end of row one with the chain being 38 I can not finish the repeat has typed, after shell, ch2, sk2, 1 SC in next. I have only one chain left at the end of the sixth shell. is beginning chain off?

• January 31, 2017 / 9:08 pm

You will have no chain left after 6 shells. You might have skipped 1 instead of skipping 2 somewhere.

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2017 / 9:20 pm

Ok so that row just ends with shell then in last foundation chain, no SC at end ?

February 1, 2017 / 3:58 am

Thank you !

March 13, 2017 / 5:40 pm

I am doing this project now. Thank you so much for designing this. My 1st project out of a written instructions. I also use jelly roll.

5. August 21, 2017 / 6:46 pm

Thank you for the pattern. I keep looking for patterns for the caron cakes I got from America. I live in the Netherlands and you can't get them here. Thank you for the pattern. I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it.
    Have a nice day.

Sweet greetings,
    Emily
    (casacreaemilia.blogspot.nl)

6. October 15, 2017 / 9:14 pm

Thank you for the pattern! I am trying to make a scarf as a present for my sister but I have some doubts about the terms used for the scheme. I assume the pattern is in US terms so I made double crochet as the UK treble. I have measured the gauge and my 3 shells are 4,5 inch. long but the rows are 4 inch. tall… I am using a J hook. I don't know where I'm doing wrong… Could you please help me? Thank you!

• October 16, 2017 / 12:29 am

Try switching to a smaller hook. Your row gauge could be different.

7. October 15, 2017 / 9:18 pm

Thank you for the pattern. I have measured the gauge and the length of the three shells is OK. The three shell row is 4 inch tall instead of three. I am using a J hook and I assume the pattern is in US terms. Could you please help me understanding where am I doing wrong? You help will be much appreciated. Thank you 🙂

• October 16, 2017 / 12:28 am

Try switching to a smaller hook. Your row gauge could be different.

November 17, 2017 / 11:59 pm

I have started this pattern over and over and carefully (and unnecessarily) marking stitches to be sure I’m doing this correctly. Though my sides are straight, my work so far is forming a perfectly angled scarf with straight sides. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

• November 18, 2017 / 8:29 pm

Could you send me a picture to mycrochetdreamz(at)gmail.com? I would be better able to help you if I see where you are going wrong.

• Lisa
        December 4, 2018 / 11:52 am

This is exactly what happened to me, so I undid about 30 rows to start and try again tonight.

November 29, 2017 / 5:48 am

Do you block the finished scarf?

10. Mary
    December 13, 2017 / 9:33 am

Having a hard time with row 1 shells looking/staying even. Also, my last stitch ended up being on the skip 2 sts. Then, when I started over, the shell was the last stitch! Is there a video for this? Thanks!

March 11, 2018 / 4:10 pm

I am making this pattern now. (March 2018)
    How long should the scarf be for a Cowl rather than a scarf?

• March 11, 2018 / 9:38 pm

Did you mean that you wanted it to be 1 layer? Then it would be 30-32 inches around. Very close fitting one will be 26-28 inches.

12. Tina
    November 5, 2018 / 6:49 pm

How do you keep the changing color from starting part way through the row? I am using Caron cakes red velvet. Do I fasten off at the end of a row and start the new color?

November 5, 2018 / 7:06 pm

Hi Tina, yes, you can absolutely do that if you don’t want colors to change in the middle of a row.

13. Tina
    November 5, 2018 / 7:48 pm

Okay I just wasn’t sure what is the proper way to do it. I am donating it to an auction for a charity and want it to be perfect. What would you suggest?