Adeline Fingerless Mitts or Arm Warmers, Easy Crochet Pattern with Faux Cables ( Free Pattern)

This is a must-have fingerless gloves crochet pattern that works up lightning fast. The design features a faux cable made with chain stitches that makes it perfect for beginners.

This fingerless gloves crochet pattern features a faux cable design that is unique and perfect for beginner crocheters. Make yours today.

Fingerless Mitts, a Slouchie Beanie, and a Cowl, make fashion statements like none other. They are the perfect combination of style and comfort. Now make your own pair of fashionable mitts with this fun to work crochet pattern embellished with faux cables.
I wanted to design a fingerless mitts crochet pattern with cables that are suitable for beginners as well. So I came up with this faux cable idea that anyone with basic crochet skills can easily work.
Unlike the regular cables that use front post stitches, the cables on these mittens use the basic chain stitch to evoke the same effect. A pair of these can be worked in about two hours.

You can follow the free pattern given below or purchase an Ad-free PDF for just $1.99 here.
You can pin it for later here.

Fingerless Gloves Crochet Pattern

1. Worsted weight size 4 medium yarn.
2. Hook H (5 mm).
3. Sewing needle to weave in the tails.

14 dc st = 3 ½ inches
4 dc rows alternating with 3 sl st rows = 3 ½ inches
Switch to a bigger or smaller hook to attain gauge.
Fits an average woman’s hand. A finished glove is 8 ½ inches long and 3.5 inches wide.

140 yards for a pair
The pattern is in standard American terms.
dc- double crochet
hdc- half double crochet
tr- triple crochet
sl st- slip stitch
Work in Back Loops only: When you are asked to work in back loops only, you work inserting your hook though only one of the loops of the stitch leaving one loop free as shown below.
                                                                                  Pic 1

Chain 32 + 3 for turning chain.
Row 1: 1 dc in to 4th chain from hook ( counts as 1st dc), 1 dc in each chain across———-33 dc
Row 2: Ch 1 (counts as 1st sl st), 1 sl st in back loop of next st, 1 sl st in back loop of each st till end of the row———————–33 sl st
Row 3: Ch 3( counts as 1st dc), 1 dc in the back loop of the next st, 1 dc in the back loop of each st across till the end of the row.—————33 dc
Repeat Rows 2 & 3 till you have a total of 16 rows and you end in a sl st Row ( Row 2). Now your gloves should measure 7 inches in width. Do not fasten off.
Pic 2

Pic 3

Fold it with the right side inside (the striped) and start to slip stitch the long sides together to make a tube as shown in pic 2 above. While making the joining sl stitches you will insert your hook through the free loop left on the foundation chain side and the back loop of the sl st on the other side as shown in pic 3 above.

Pic 4

spacer height=”20px”] Sl st till 2 ½ inches is left open. Now stop joining the sides together and work sl stitches up along the foundation chain side only for 1 ½ inches, this will form the hole for your thumb as shown in pic 4 above. Now sl st the rest of the 1 inch together till you reach the end. Do not fasten off.
Continue to work a round of sc around the opening of the gloves to even out the irregular edges. Work the sc stitches along the inside of the tube as that would be the right side of the glove. Try to distribute the sc as evenly as possible.
Make one more glove following the exact same pattern. The right side of your glove will look like the pic below.

Pic 5
Faux Cables

Pic 6

Try the glove on the left hand inserting your thumb through the hole and place markers to show 2 tracks running through the middle of your hand as shown in pic 6 above. Repeat with your right glove. Now you know where to work your faux cables for each side.

Pic 7

Overview: You start from the point shown by the red dot and work upwards along the red arrow to complete one side of the cable. Once you reach the top you work down the brown arrow to complete the mirror image of the first half you made.
The three orange vertical lines indicate the left, middle and right sl st ridges.

Pattern for Faux Cables
Keep the gloves down with the markers showing on top. Sl st to the base of the ridge on the right as shown by the red dot and follow the blue line as shown in pic 7 above.
Ch 3, sl st to the 5th st on the middle ridge to the left, *(ch 4, sl st to the 9th st ( counted from the previous sl st made on the same ridge) on the right ridge, Ch 4, sl sl to the 9th st on the middle ridge) Repeat from * 2 more times. Now you will have reached the top of your glove.

Pic 8

Now, you will work your way down and make the mirror image of the cable you already made following the green line in pic 7 above.
*(Ch 4, sl st to the point opposite to the one made on the right ridge, ch 4, sl st to the middle ridge at the same point as the first cable you made). Repeat from * 2 more times, ch 3 and sl st to the end of the ridge. Do not fasten off. Work a round of sc around the glove opening to even out the edges. Weave in the remaining tails.
Follow the same steps to work cables between the markers for the right glove too. Your lovely fingerless mitts with faux cables is now ready to wear!

If you love it, please share it using one of the social media buttons below. Thank you!

———————————————————————

You can find another one of my popular fingerless crochet gloves here.

Check out more patterns from Crochet Dreamz: Pattern Gallery

1. Molly
    September 18, 2012 / 3:05 pm

BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for the free pattern!

September 18, 2012 / 11:14 pm

I love the pattern. Thank you so much for been so kind & give us a free pattern!

3. Melissa
    September 19, 2012 / 8:23 pm

AWESOME!! Thank you for this pattern, what a genius idea.

4. September 21, 2012 / 7:26 am

That pattern is gorgeous! I would love it if you shared it at my crochet link party this weekend. I hope to see you there!
    Best wishes from Holland, Annemarie

September 25, 2012 / 2:54 pm

BEAUTIFUL!! Love the cables!! Thank you for sharing.
    Lenora

6. September 25, 2012 / 11:39 pm

Love 'em! I will be making a pair! Probably several, once my girls and the gals at work see them. It's so nice of you to share your talents with us and gift us with a free pattern!!!

7. September 26, 2012 / 12:43 pm

Perfect! I was looking for a free pattern for some fingerless gloves but had no idea I would find such a lovely pattern for them! Thank you for sharing it! You have some lovely designs here!

8. September 26, 2012 / 12:44 pm

Perfect! I was just looking for a pattern for some free fingerless gloves and didn't imagine I would find such a pretty one! Thank you for sharing it. You have some lovely designs here!

9. September 27, 2012 / 6:59 pm

These are super! Thank you so much for giving this pattern away. You're wonderful! 🙂

10. September 30, 2012 / 5:07 pm

Gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing, I have earmarked your page and will definitely be trying this out at some point 🙂
    I am hosting a Secret Santa Handmade Swap on my blog and you would be an awesome participant.
    Hope you will consider it.
    x

11. October 3, 2012 / 6:24 pm

I love it! Thanks for sharing! I've been following you on Facebook for a while. I didn't realize you had a blog as well. 🙂

12. October 5, 2012 / 10:40 pm

Love them! I haven't crocheted anything to wear other than scarves yet, but this looks like a good place to start!

October 6, 2012 / 11:06 pm

I love your blog! I purchased the ear flap hat pattern last winter and absolutely love it! Certainly worth the $5!!! Thank you for this free pattern…I love these and am so excited to try it!

14. October 8, 2012 / 6:37 pm

Absolutely adorable pattern!

15. October 8, 2012 / 9:50 pm

I am making these right now! Thank you for sharing the pattern!

16. October 11, 2012 / 9:14 pm

What a gorgeous pattern. I've knit fingerless gloves…I think I'll have to try crocheting some now! 😀

17. October 16, 2012 / 7:44 pm

Super cute! Have a friend who was looking for knit-look crochet stuff to make. I'll have to send this to her!

• October 28, 2012 / 2:47 pm

Yes, of course you can but please do link to my blog page. You are also free to share any more projects from my blog as long as there is a link.

18. November 1, 2012 / 1:20 pm

thanks so much, i will try making these by next weekend, depending on when i get a chance to buy more yarn… i just started crocheting in october so i hope i'll manage making these.
    once i'm better at it i'd love to make more things with your patterns, i've already pinned those adorable boots, they'll be perfect for my niece when she gets a little bigger!

19. November 22, 2012 / 1:56 pm

I've been crocheting for a long time (longer than I care to remember) and I love making small things like this, or hats, scarves, booties, socks, etc. I'll be giving these a try when I finish a Christmas order of my ribbed fingerless mitts for a friend. She ordered 20 pairs (glad they don't take more than a couple hours a pair too.)

20. November 28, 2012 / 7:32 pm

are we allowed to sell this pattern? because i bet tons of people would love to buy it.

• November 29, 2012 / 4:10 am

If you meant if you could sell the finished mittens, yes you can. Please do not sell the pattern itself or pass it on to others. If anyone needs the crochet pattern kindly direct them to my blog. Thank You!

November 29, 2012 / 3:46 am

can we sell the ending result of this project? i will give you credit of course

22. December 6, 2012 / 1:23 pm

I love your easy to read instructions for your Adeline fingerless mitts, I already have a request for a fingerless mitt and it will be my first time croocheting one. I also like your personal touch drawings on page 2 showing percise detailed instruction for back loops. Thank you…..Please don't stop keep them coming.

23. December 8, 2012 / 9:28 pm

Grazie!

24. December 18, 2012 / 11:54 pm

I don't understand how you do the back loop here. It seems to me you need to crochet the slip stitch row into not the back loop but the loop at the very back of the previous stitch leaving the previous row showing both front and back loops. Am I missing something?

• December 20, 2012 / 3:27 am

If you work the slip st in to the back loop and the next row of dc again in to the back loops of the slip stitches, you will get the striped look. You can mark one of your slip stitches to easily locate the back loop of it.

25. January 2, 2013 / 3:23 am

Thank you for the free pattern. I've been looking for a pattern like this forever and yours is the only one I really like. I'm pinning this!

26. January 8, 2013 / 3:53 pm

Thank you so much for the darling hand warmers. I work with seniors and their hands are always cold. I will make a few pairs to give them. God bless you and keep you as you continue to create such beautiful and useful items.

27. January 8, 2013 / 3:54 pm

Thank you for the free pattern, it was so kind and generous of you. I work with seniors and their hands are always cold. I will try this pattern and give a few away. God bless and keep you as you continue to create such beautiful and creative projects.

January 24, 2013 / 12:15 am

Thank you for this pattern. I love Dr. Who and was hoping to find hand warmers like the ones Rose wears, but all have been knit. Yours are beautiful and I can't wait to try them. Hoping to also make them for my daughters and friends. 🙂

January 29, 2013 / 3:08 pm

These are just what I've been looking for. I just finished my first glove and am thrilled at how simple to make, yet so lovely. Making for my daughters first, then I get to make a pair for myself. Also, making for my husband and son, but shorter and without the cables. Very gracious of you to share this pattern, thank you so much.

30. February 19, 2013 / 8:42 pm

They are very classy & chic. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. (I pinned you on Pinterest)

June 12, 2013 / 7:50 pm

Thank you for this lovely pattern. I live in Australia and it is very difficult to find crochet patterns here.

32. September 24, 2013 / 7:02 pm

Just wanted to say thanks! I have crocheted and knitted lots of plain jane handwarmers and was looking for something fun to try next. These are so cute!

33. September 24, 2013 / 7:03 pm

Just wanted to thank you for this pattern. I have been looking for something different to try for handwarmers/gauntlets. These look great! Thanks again

34. October 18, 2013 / 1:22 pm

I love this pattern, but I can't figure out how to download the pattern. I even got the "Box" app. Please help! Thanks!!!

35. October 18, 2013 / 1:56 pm

You do not need any App to download the pattern. The link should work for everyone unless your connection is slow. Please use my contact me form. I can email it to you.

October 21, 2013 / 5:28 pm

Thx for the pattern. The only part I dont understand is which side and where do u do the sc down the length to the other opening of glove.

• October 22, 2013 / 8:28 pm

Could you please email me using the contact me form and elaborate a little please?

October 22, 2013 / 6:06 pm

Hello) Can you tell me, what kind of thread do you use for these mittens?
    P.S. Sorry my English, please)

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2013 / 3:00 pm

Thanks!

October 28, 2013 / 4:15 pm

Is this a free pattern because I can't find it?

• October 29, 2013 / 7:07 pm

There is a link at the bottom of the post which will take you to the pattern.

November 29, 2013 / 5:32 pm

Hi just found your blog and wanted to say thanks for the pattern, these will make nice gifts(and one for myself).

40. December 6, 2013 / 8:48 pm

You must be a smart gal to have made this cable pattern. I'm sorry to look like Im slow,but I don't know how you do the cables after the mitts done. Is the chain that you do fastened every little bit to the mitt or not,again sorry,everyone else seems to have understood but me

• December 7, 2013 / 6:18 pm

No, you don't fasten off till you finish the cable pattern.

41. December 7, 2013 / 11:12 am

Made these as a Christmas gift – thank you so much for the pattern! It was very easy to follow and these worked up quickly and beautifully 🙂

42. December 12, 2013 / 12:37 pm

All of your stuff is beautiful…but I find these to be little gems!

43. December 24, 2013 / 9:03 pm

great idea of faux cables … looks easy enough even for a beginner … congrats on creating this great design!!!

44. January 19, 2014 / 10:54 pm

My daughter sent me a link to your pattern and requested a pair for her and her two daughters. I have been making these since September. Every time someone sees them they want a pair! Thank you so much for a great pattern and inspiration.

45. michelle
    February 19, 2014 / 9:47 am

46. March 17, 2014 / 2:39 pm

I love it, can't wait to start this pattern.

47. maria cristina
    April 21, 2014 / 11:36 pm

Thank you! lovely!

October 22, 2014 / 12:33 am

My grand daughters will love these! Thank you for the pattern!

November 4, 2014 / 12:15 pm

Love this

50. Cynthia
    November 10, 2014 / 10:24 pm

These are fun and Beautiful! Thank you for being so generous to share such a Wonderful pattern with us. I made a pair for myself and my 4 year old daughter and I can't get her to take them off half the time. We both love them and it's so fun to have a matching pair together. My mom has made her request for a pair so back to work I go! Thank you!

51. November 12, 2014 / 6:35 pm

Love it! Tk u for sharing yr beautiful designs/patterns & talent with us. U hv such gorgeous patterns in everything. Can't wait to try this for my granddaughters for Christmas – they will luv it. Also going to try yr fingerless mitts – just wonderful. I hv pinned this & other items on yr site. I always look fwd to viewing yr blog for yr beautiful designs. Tk u again.

November 15, 2014 / 2:05 am

I have looked at dozens of patterns. These are beautiful. I plan on starting in a few min to make about 15 pairs. for Christmas this year I am making slouchy hats, scarves and this will make a great addition to the set.

November 21, 2014 / 1:54 pm

Do you turn after each row when making the arm warmer part?

54. March 31, 2015 / 12:28 pm

I have an owl lover that I would love to knit these for. Very cute!

55. June 26, 2015 / 12:21 am

Thank you so much for thid pattern. Just what I was looking for.

56. November 18, 2015 / 4:33 am

This is an incredible pattern. I've made several pairs so far, and intend to make many more. I've added an additional row along forearm edge of each warmer with a fur yarn. It makes a nice accent, and gives some added variety. Thank you for this beautiful pattern. Every time I see them worn by someone, I can't help but think how cute they look. Cheers!

• November 18, 2015 / 3:19 pm

Thank you so much. I would love to get a picture of the mittens with fur, so I can share on my facebook page.

57. November 18, 2016 / 3:18 am

I'm struggling on Row 3 to crochet into the back loop. Very hard to get my hook in the back loop. Am I doing something wrong?

• November 19, 2016 / 3:27 am

Either you crochet too tight or you are trying to insert into the wrong loop. You will find videos on Youtube for working in back loops.

58. November 25, 2016 / 1:17 pm

Love this! Can't wait to try it! Thanks for the pattern.

59. December 2, 2016 / 1:52 am

I finished the first mitt but I'm not sure if I fasten it off before proceeding with the cable pattern. Can you tell me if that's what I should do?

60. June 24, 2017 / 12:46 am

I don't know why I deleted this but what it said was that I wasn't getting wide enough ridges and had to do way more rows than the pattern calls for to get 7 inches. I've figured it out now. Thank you for posting this. It's a fantastic pattern..once you figure out what stitchs to go into for row 3.

January 26, 2018 / 2:27 am

I have not tried this pattern yet but have looked at the fingerless handwarmers for , I know, a good couple of years. I am making afghans for my granddaughters for christmas gifts. But as I am sure you can understand, when you crochet on them for so long, and doing repetitive stitches, you sometimes need a break from it and have to put another pattern in the middle of it, just to break things up a little bit. Well, this is my breaker pattern, and i KNOW the girls will love them. Thank you SO MUCh for sharing such a gorgeous pattern…

• January 28, 2018 / 4:00 am

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I appreciate your feedback and hope your girls love them as much as you do.

• February 15, 2018 / 8:20 pm

I tried this pattern way back in March of last year and for some reason couldn't get it to work for me.Finally in frustration set it aside and have tried it again today and I got it! I'm so excited to have finally been able to make these. sometimes you just have to sit back and try again later I guess.It's so simple to me now. I don't know why I had a problem back then but I'm glad I tried again. Thank you for the pattern and putting up with me sending you all those emails.

• February 16, 2018 / 1:49 am

I am so glad you could finally make them, yay!

62. February 15, 2018 / 8:28 pm

I have one more comment…a suggestion. My dgd suggested making the faux cables in another color. I think in your purple ones pictured above a white cable would be awesome. I'm planning to make some with same color cables and some with contrasting colors. I have 14 grandchildren and 9 of them are girls who are going to love these.

• February 16, 2018 / 1:50 am

I have seen some people make the cables in contrasting color and it looked nice. I am sure yours will turn out lovely too.

63. Maria
    December 19, 2018 / 11:32 am

Hi,
    thanks so much for this lovely pattern!
    I was thinking about making the gloves a little shorter, since I prefer them to not go too far up my arm. Can you tell me how to calculate how many rows I can take off so that the cable pattern still fits? I hope this makes sense 🙂

December 19, 2018 / 11:52 am

You can subtract 9 chains from your initial chain.