Brooklyn Fingerless Mitts or Wrist Warmers, Free Crochet Pattern

This crochet fingerless gloves pattern was designed as an afterthought to match my Brooklyn Boot cuffs published last week. I must say,  they make an amazing pair. The crochet pattern uses the same stitch as the Brooklyn boot cuffs and works up in just half the time.
A Crochet Fingerless Gloves pattern that works up in under 2 hours. You will love the stitch. Make a pair today.
You can work from the free pattern below or purchase an Ad-Free PDF copy for $1.99 here.

Pin it for later: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/51087777004264184/

You can wear it in your cold office rooms or outdoors, a perfect accessory where style meets comfort. Fingerless mitts keep your fingers free to hold a book or text to your heart’s content. What’s more? They are fairly easy to make with very little shaping, unlike the regular mittens.

The stitches used are easy to learn and give it a nice texture. The wooden buttons used are optional and are only for embellishment.

The basic crochet fingerless gloves can be worked in less than two hours and can make a cherished handmade Christmas gift. So grab your hook and a skein of yarn and make a pair today. I promise you-you will be addicted.

1. Worsted weight ( size 4 medium) yarn
2. Hook – G (4.25mm)
3. Two ¾ inch wooden buttons
Using G hook, 16 sc rows worked in back loops = 4 inches
Finished size:3.5 inches wide and 7 ½ inches long
100 Yards for a pair
Extended Single crochet (esc): Insert your hook into the next st and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through one loop, yarn over again and pull through the remaining 2 loops on hook.—–1 esc completed
Work in Back loops or Front loops only: See the picture below to learn what it means to work into back loops only or front loops only. When making a regular stitch the hook is inserted under both the loops as seen in the 1st diagram below but inserted only into one of the loops in case you are working into the back or front loops.
                                                                                  Pic 1

The pattern is in standard American terms.
esc- extended single crochet
sl st- slip stitch

All the pictures have been numbered sequentially and grouped at the end of the written pattern.
Pattern
With G hook chain 12.
Row 1: 1 sc in 2nd chain from hook and each chain across. Turn.————-11 sc
Row 2: Working in back loops only, ch 1 ( not counted as a st), 1 sc in back loop of the same st as ch 1, 1 sc in back loop of next 10 stitches. Turn.—————– 11 sc
2. Sl st the first and last rows together

Repeat Row 2 till your work measures 7 inches. Do not stretch your band while measuring. Now slip stitch the two shorter ends together inserting your hook through the front loops of the stitches on your last row and the free loops on the very first row to form a circular band as shown in Pic 2 above. See Stitch explanation for working in front loops. I got 14 ridges in the band including the ridge formed by slip stitching the ends together. Now the rest of the mittens will be worked in the round.
                                                  3. Work a round of sc across row ends
Round 1: Ch 1( does not count as a st), proceed to work a round of sc all around the band, making 1 sc in each sc row end ( one in each ridge and trough). Sl st to the first sc. Do not turn. See Pic 3 above. ——— 28 sc
Round 2: Ch 3 ( counts as first esc and ch 1), skip 1 st, *(1 esc in next st, ch 1 , skip 1 st), repeat from * till end of the round. You would have reached the beginning ch 3, do not turn.—————- 14 esc in the round.
Note: Esc is the stitch right before it to the right and not the one right on top of it. See Pic 4 below to find out where to insert your hook to make an esc.
                                              4. Shows where to insert you hook to work your esc
Round 3: Work 1 esc in to top of beginning chain 2 of the previous round, place a marker in the esc you just made. The marker will show you where Round 3 started. *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 14 esc
Round 4: 1 esc in marked st, move the marker up in to the esc you just made, ch 1, sk 1 st, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 14 esc
Repeat Round 4 four more times. Every time you reach back near the marked stitch you would have completed one round.
For Left Mitten Only
Next Round ( Round 9) : 1 esc in marked st, move the marker up into the esc you just made, ch 1, sk 1 st, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * 2 times, 1 esc in next esc, chain 3 loosely, skip a total of 3 stitches, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 13 esc
The skipped stitches will form the hole for your thumb.
For Right Mitten Only
Next Round ( Round 9) : 1 esc in marked st, move the marker up into the esc you just made, ch 1, sk 1 st, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * 8 times, 1 esc in next esc, chain 3 loosely, skip a total of 3 stitches, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 13 esc
The skipped stitches will form the hole for your thumb.
Continue for both Right and Left Mittens
Round 10: 1 esc in marked st, move the marker up into the esc you just made, ch 1, sk 1 st, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach the chain 3 of previous round, work 1 esc in to the ch-3 space, ch 1, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till your reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 14 esc
Round 11 & 12: 1 esc in marked st, move the marker up into the esc you just made, ch 1, sk 1 st, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 14 esc
Round 13 ( Last Round): 1 regular sc in the marked esc, sl st to the next ch 1. This would have evened out the edges. Ch 1, 1 sc in next st and each st across, sl st to beginning ch 1. Fasten off.
Finishing
Weave in any tails left and sew two wooden buttons onto the ribbed band for embellishment.
A free pattern for a matching pair of boot cuffs can be found here: Brooklyn Boot Cuffs.
You might also like my Faux Cable Mittens found here.
————-
Check out more patterns from Crochet Dreamz: Pattern Gallery

1. September 24, 2013 / 10:06 pm

Lovely! So glad I found this pattern, thank you!

2. September 24, 2013 / 11:02 pm

thanks for sharing these free patterns. I am new to crochet and might give these a try.

3. September 25, 2013 / 4:58 am

I really love the stitches you used here. I am going to try to learn to make them from your directions! Thanks for sharing them.

4. September 25, 2013 / 1:55 pm

Thanks for sharing these patterns. My daughters love them. Buying yarn today to make them a couple of each pattern.

September 25, 2013 / 7:27 pm

Thank you for giving us this free pattern for the boot cuffs and fingerless gloves. They are so cute.

September 25, 2013 / 7:28 pm

Thank you very much for these patterns. My granddaughter will love these.

October 16, 2013 / 1:16 pm

Great pattern and that green you used is gorgeous!

8. October 21, 2013 / 4:14 am

Love this Pattern… Thank your for Sharing… Love the RED… 🙂

9. October 21, 2013 / 4:18 am

Love this Pattern… Thank your for Sharing… Love the RED… 🙂

10. October 21, 2013 / 2:01 pm

This pattern is so cute! I love the waffle texture, pinning now! 🙂

justbcrafty.com

11. October 23, 2013 / 1:48 am

This is a great pattern. Thank you for sharing. These make up pretty fast as I am just finishing my first mitt. I will be using these for work. And will be making the matching boot cuffs tomorrow.

12. October 25, 2013 / 7:30 am

SO gorgeous and cozy! Featuring you at Sunday FUNday this weekend! Thanks for sharing!

13. October 27, 2013 / 12:17 am

Hi and thanks for sharing this pattern for hand warmers! I would love to try out the pattern some time. I love crocheting and you did a beautiful job and I love the color. Congrats on the feature on life on lakeshore drive.
    Julie at julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

14. October 29, 2013 / 12:56 am

I love this, when I lived in Chicago I bought a pair, it made it easy to access my money for the bus. Thanks for sharing on Tuesdays With a Twist, please share again tomorrow.

15. November 6, 2013 / 11:22 am

Lovely pattern. Thank you. 🙂

16. November 8, 2013 / 6:56 am

Love this pattern! I'm going to use it for Christmas gifts for my Mom, sister and Mother-in-Law! Thanks for sharing this with the world! 🙂

17. November 10, 2013 / 5:27 pm

This pattern is great! Thank you!!!

18. Arlette Cheramie
    November 12, 2013 / 2:42 pm

Hello. I am Arlette from Tying Knots. Last week I made a pair of your Brooklyn Fingerless Gloves. My quandary was what to do with rest of the skein of bright lemony yellow yarn. Ah ha a matching scarf. Thanks for the lovely pattern. Check out my FB page to see the matching set.

19. November 24, 2013 / 3:22 am

Pattern is so easy however needed to add a couple inches. I have a very fat hand and ummm 7" just wasn't enough to get my over my fingers. Love it though and am making for quick and easy christmas gifts for all my female employees.

December 12, 2013 / 12:10 am

I am fifteen year old girl and I love to crochet. I really like these patterns they are sooo cute. I am looking for a way to earn a little pocket money. I was wondering if I could make and sell a few of these patterns. I will give credit to this website and who wrote the pattern. you can put a limit on the amount. I just really enjoy crocheting and a few people have been looking in to buying a few things from me. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

• December 12, 2013 / 3:55 am

You are free to sell what you make from my patterns and there is no limit. Best of luck in your endeavour!

• Anonymous
      December 12, 2013 / 4:51 am

Thank you SOOO much. I really appreciate it! I can't wait to get started. Thanks again!

21. January 23, 2014 / 1:00 am

Thank you so much for this pattern! I looked at countless fingerless glove patterns and even tried starting a few, but none were as easy AND classy looking as these. I never used the extended sc before in anything and it's such a nice look. Got them done in an evening and everyone wants to know where I got them:). Thanks for sharing your creations!

February 3, 2014 / 2:31 am

I can't access the pattern

23. Glendya
    March 21, 2014 / 11:37 pm

Thanks for sharing this cute pattern, instructions are easy to follow!

April 13, 2014 / 2:15 pm

Conni

Hello, I was wondering if you had a toddler size? I can't measure her because she is out of State. Thank You for your generosity on Patterns, you are too kind and your work is AMAZING!

Conni

25. April 17, 2014 / 5:08 am

thank you for the pattern . im gonna make them for my mother's birthday

26. May 3, 2014 / 10:15 pm

These are great I love them thank you for sharing…!!

27. June 12, 2014 / 6:18 am

I like the all patterns of fingerless mitts or wrist warmers. It really too lovely to see. Amazing work!

• August 5, 2014 / 2:25 pm

Please provide your email using my Contact Me form found at the top of my blog.

28. October 18, 2014 / 6:25 pm

These patterns are great! How can I adjust the patterns for different sizes?

October 19, 2014 / 3:51 pm

Love these 2 patterns: fingerless mitts and matching boot cuffs. I keep clicking on free pattern on each but no pattern pops up, just the same pictures showing completed items so what am I doing wrong? gloria

• October 20, 2014 / 6:17 pm

May be it is your internet connection or your tablet or phone giving you trouble. Please email me using the Contact Me form, top of page. I will email you the free patterns you would like.

30. October 25, 2014 / 3:45 am

I'm having an issue downloading this PDF and the matching boot cuffs PDF. Is there something special I need to do? Please help! I would love to make these for gifts this Christmas. Thanks.

31. November 19, 2014 / 2:27 am

Wow! very passionate gloves. I like to buy that when I receive my salary. Thanks! I got more idea.

32. November 19, 2014 / 8:50 pm

I cant get the pattern when a click on free pattern it just refreshes the current page. I want Boot cuffs and fingerless mitts

• November 23, 2014 / 5:16 pm

It could be your browser. Kindly email me using the contact me form.

33. November 26, 2014 / 3:16 am

I'm having some trouble with the pattern and need a little help. I tried crocheting the peice as the instructions say but ended up with something completely different than the photo. I looked closer at the photo and saw that the stitches kinda looked like knit stitches? I'm so confused now. I ended up frogging my cuff out of frustration, but have one photo of it half done if it would be of any help. Any tips to make this work would be very much appreciated! Thank you.

• November 27, 2014 / 5:07 pm

Kindly write to me using my Contact Me form and I will help you out. Nope, they are not knit stitches but crochet.

34. Leelou
    December 21, 2014 / 1:07 am

Thanks a lot for sharing these interesting patterns !!!! Leelou

35. January 12, 2015 / 2:30 am

I just finished one of the gloves. I made my cuff quite a bit longer, because I want to fold over about two inches of it and then sew the button on, but otherwise I followed your pattern. It was so easy, about three hours for one glove. Would have been less, but the cats kept running off with my yarn.

36. March 30, 2015 / 6:09 am

Lovely mitts! I like this fingerless mitts. It is so beautiful and colorful.

37. October 19, 2015 / 11:53 am

This is a great pattern. I adjusted it a bit because my hands are big. I work in a drafty office, but may wear them sooner because they are so cute! Also, I airways wanted to know how to crochet ribbing. Thanks for posting this free pattern! Yours truly, Inky Pinky

38. October 30, 2015 / 3:29 am

I am unable to see the pattern for the gloves or boot cuffs�� any suggestion on finding the pattern?

• October 30, 2015 / 6:10 pm

You will find the links at the bottom of the blog post. It will be in blue while the rest of the text is in black.

39. November 4, 2015 / 5:48 am

I want to make these for my daughter but her hands are quite small. How would I adjust the pattern to fit?

40. December 16, 2015 / 10:49 pm

I made these last year and the recipient was so pleased with them I am making another pair this Christmas. Thank you for an easy to follow pattern.

41. April 13, 2016 / 7:56 pm

I downloaded the pattern for the gloves and have made 3 pairs already. Thank you so much for sharing. They are easy to work through. I managed to increase the size for a bigger fit 🙂

42. Zoe
    January 27, 2017 / 4:57 am

Hi love this Patten and looking at giving it a go over the weekend. Being from the UK I just wanted to ask what yarn would work? Also what is ESC stitch . Thanks zoe

• January 28, 2017 / 1:30 am

How to work an Esc is explained under Stitch explanation in the pattern. Any worsted weight yarn can be used. I think you call it Aran in UK.

43. October 26, 2017 / 9:37 pm

I really wish there were a video tutorial with these mittens, I would love to make them but for the life of me I truly suck at written patterns 🙁

44. November 3, 2017 / 4:15 am

When I start round 4 through 8 and do ESC, ch 1, sk st… Do I basically just go into each ESC, skipping the ch1 in between? Like the diagram showing the arrows, pic 4? I'm surprised this feels a little too tight for me, because typically everything is too big!

• November 3, 2017 / 2:42 pm

Yes, you are right. Some people tend to chain tightly even if they work other stitches normally. You might have to switch to a bigger hook if it looks tight.

45. November 28, 2017 / 10:28 pm

I can't wait to try this adorable pattern out and (if it really works up in 2 hrs 🙂 ) will be making some for the teachers for Christmas presents!

• November 29, 2017 / 3:55 pm

I am glad you like the pattern. Thank you visiting my blog.

46. December 25, 2017 / 12:20 am

thank you for your patterns. I love the look of your Brooklyn Boot Cuffs and Fingerless Mitts and I was really hoping that you have a hat to go with this set.

47. Annette
    January 20, 2019 / 1:52 pm

I love this pattern but I guess I’m the only one not getting it….. I can’t figure out how to make the thumb hole. I also can’t find a video. Help!

January 20, 2019 / 4:55 pm

The ch 3, skip 3 sts in Round 9 will form the thumbhole. I am sorry, I do not have a video for this pattern yet.