Bella Ruffled Bag (Free Crochet Pattern)

This bag was made by Grace Anne of WouldYouLikeYarnWithThat.blogspot.com using my pattern. lovely isn’t it? I love how she added her own touch with a flower.

Whipping up this crochet pattern was so much fun because I have always had a  fetish for bags. I am not into any other accessories but choosing a bag has always been a herculean task for me. When I started crocheting seriously, bags were my first love. I have no idea how I shifted gears to baby booties.  I have always loved bags with ruffles but never owned one and this could be my first. I have left the bag unlined but you can line it if you wish to make it last longer.

This bag is the size of an over-sized clutch and just big enough to hold your essentials. The bag is 13 inches wide at the base and 9 1/2 inches tall including the handle. The bag is worked using worsted weight ( size 4 medium yarn) and an H(5mm) and G (4.25 mm)  crochet hook. You need to know only the basic crochet stitches and hdc2tog decrease to make this bag. The bag is quick to work up as the ruffles use double crochet stitches that makes your work grow quickly.

Click here to get the Free Pattern!
If you love it, please consider sharing it with one of the social media buttons below. Thank You!

1. May 16, 2012 / 10:59 pm

Wow that is so cute. Thank you for sharing

2. May 18, 2012 / 2:40 pm

I love this so much, I really want to make one. Thank you sharing the pattern. Just visiting from Whipperbery

3. May 18, 2012 / 6:49 pm

This looks like afun bag to make. will book mark for future use, thank you!

4. May 18, 2012 / 7:59 pm

Wonderful work. Reward awaits you on my blog!

5. May 19, 2012 / 10:48 am

What a beautiful bag, thanks so much for the pattern!

6. May 20, 2012 / 11:00 pm

Gorgeous colour you have used for the bag. Thanks for sharing the pattern with us.

7. diana fox
    May 21, 2012 / 2:38 am

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS, more than anything I've seen. Thank you for the pattern if I can get it! It didn't want to come up for me but I'll keep trying till I do.

May 21, 2012 / 4:01 am

So cute!:)

9. May 21, 2012 / 9:29 am

This is sooo stinking adorable! I just love the color and the sweet ruffles! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next!
    I am your newest follower~

10. May 21, 2012 / 12:59 pm

This is so adorable! I found you via Simply Designing's link party. I'm entry #172 and #173 and also have a blog with lots of crochet patterns! I've bought a pattern from you before. You are very talented!

11. May 21, 2012 / 11:44 pm

My color! I really need to get my daughter to teach me how to crochet. Is there hope for me if I still can't get the slip knot right? ;0

12. May 21, 2012 / 11:46 pm

I really need to get my daughter to teach me. This bag is so my color! Is there hope for me if I still can't get the slip knot right? ;0

13. May 22, 2012 / 7:45 pm

This is BY FAR the best free pattern I've seen in a long time!! So very pretty! Thank you for sharing!
    I featured you on my blog… check it out at: WouldYouLikeYarnWithThat.blogspot.com

xoxo
    ~Grace Ann

14. May 23, 2012 / 2:24 am

This bag is so cute!! We are so glad to have you join us for our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". See you again next week!! -The Sisters

15. May 23, 2012 / 5:09 pm

This bag is adorable! I can really see this in a dark raspberry or hot pink with black accents! On vacation now so will have to wait until I get home to start it. Thanks. so much for sharing your pattern. Would love if you'd share it at my Frugal Treasures Tuesday party

16. May 23, 2012 / 10:11 pm

New fan here. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I've filed it away to make as my next project.

17. May 24, 2012 / 10:04 am

What a gorgeous little bag!!! If only I could crochet! Thanks for linking up to Threading My Way…

18. May 24, 2012 / 10:19 pm

That is so sweet! Thank you for sharing with air your laundry friday! xo Jami

19. May 26, 2012 / 6:18 am

This just got added to my Ravelry queue!
    -beadedunicorn

20. May 29, 2012 / 7:03 pm

Your bag is so beautifull, and it's in my favourite colour. I'll try make this one like yours. Of course in your favourite colour. Greetings!

21. June 1, 2012 / 1:33 am

That is SO cool. I love the ruffles! I had no idea that was crochet until I started reading your post. Duh. It's beautiful!

22. June 2, 2012 / 4:30 pm

Thank you so much for this cute pattern!

23. June 2, 2012 / 10:26 pm

Love the bag! Have already run out to the store and bought my yarn. Can't wait to get started. New to this "blog" thing, but love your patterns. Found you on facebook. Thanks for the free pattern. Found others – will be making purchases too!

24. June 2, 2012 / 10:27 pm

Love the bag! Have already run out to the store and bought the yarn. Can't wait to get started. 🙂

June 3, 2012 / 12:09 pm

I like old fashioned instructions

26. June 4, 2012 / 9:17 pm

Hi, this is SUCH A CUTE PURSE!!! but for some reason I can't download it. Is there any way you could email me the pattern? My daughter is FREAKING out wanting me to make for her!! Thanks!

27. June 4, 2012 / 9:19 pm

Hi, is there any way you could email me this pattern? I can't download it on my device and my daughter is freaking out on me to make this ADORABLE bag!!

June 11, 2012 / 5:12 am

One problem. You forgot to mention what hook you started with.

29. June 13, 2012 / 5:47 am

Everything you make is AMAZING! your sandals inspired mine, but yours are WAY beyond my wildest dreams! Thanks for sharing such a gorgeous pattern, I can't wait to try it out!

June 18, 2012 / 7:51 pm

How cute! Is the flower instructions included? I think the flower really makes that second bag. (If not I suppose I could look one up on my own) Thanks for sharing!

June 18, 2012 / 11:31 pm

May be a silly question, but I just can't figure out what you mean by " ch 2, make 1 hdc in same st as ch 2" at the start of each round. Any help would be appreciated

• June 21, 2012 / 6:37 pm

If you don't want to count the beginning chain 2 as a stitch you work a hdc in to the same st as beginning ch 2. Also this way it will leave no gap between your stitches.

July 13, 2012 / 8:30 pm

hi
    This bag is a lovely crochet pattern
    I chose to skip the last row in all the ruffles.
    I attached the flower with a pin.
    If you give permission, i can refer the link to your blog's url in my blog and upload my bag's picture in my blog.

• July 19, 2012 / 3:40 pm

You are free to post a picture if you link to my blog. Thanks in advance!
      I would love to see your bag posted on my facebook page too.

33. July 19, 2012 / 4:15 am

hi,

it's so beautiful..can u teach me how to do that..

34. July 22, 2012 / 12:17 am

Thank you for sharing the pattern for this adorable bag. I know just who needs one of these made for her!
    Peace, Judi

35. July 23, 2012 / 1:57 am

LOVE this bag. Made one in brown. I was a little intimidated with the 17 pages of instructions, but they were very clear and concise, with helpful pictures. I wish all patterns were written this well. Thanks for sharing the pattern!

36. July 25, 2012 / 5:46 pm

I know a few princesses that need this bag.I'll be busy for a while. 🙂

August 10, 2012 / 4:28 pm

I discovered your web site via Google while looking for a related subject, lucky for me your web site came up, its a great website. I have bookmarked it in my Google bookmarks. You really are a phenomenal person with a brilliant mind! website

August 16, 2012 / 12:35 am

I love this!!! I'm thinking of making this in a neutral color and then making multiple flowers and putting pins on the back so that you can change them around!!

39. August 25, 2012 / 7:11 pm

omg this is amazing! i just started crocheting as something for a baby shower and now its got me wanting to do all kinds of things. think im going to attempt this!

September 10, 2012 / 4:57 pm

I love your work! I've just started crocheting and don't know what all the abbreviations mean yet, but I really want to try this! Thank you, Andi

• September 10, 2012 / 11:27 pm

Andi,there is an explanantion for each abbreviation used in the pattern right on the first page.

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2013 / 3:42 pm

I am unable to get the pattern for this bella ruffle bag If anyone has it please let me know Terri

41. Janet
    September 11, 2012 / 1:42 pm

I am confused. Page 6, round 5, says to 1 hdc until 3 sts left, then hdc dec twice, end in marked st. How do you hdc dec twice in only 3 sts? Don't you need 4 sts to work into? Help!!!

• September 11, 2012 / 4:50 pm

1 hdc till 3 stitches left before the marked stitch. So including the marked stitch you will have 4 stitches.

42. September 27, 2012 / 3:15 am

Thank you for the pattern! When I saw it I knew I had to make me this purse. Perfect timing too because my old purse was ready to be retired. LOL. I did make a few modifications though. I posted the link for the pattern to your site and my modifications on my blog.

(took pain meds so I'm not sure if what I wrote makes any sense. LOL) I hope you'll check it out. Thank you again for the pattern.

43. October 11, 2012 / 12:59 pm

I just found your blog and love your bag. It is really cute. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above

44. October 14, 2012 / 10:28 am

Thank you for sharing this tutorial, the bag is so cute indeed 🙂

Hope I'll end up doing it as I somehow miss motivation as of now but this bag may light up the flame 🙂

Cheers,

Ossayad

45. mimi_mardiah@yahoo.co.id
    February 7, 2013 / 9:25 am

excuse me can i copy this tutorial and sell the product that i have made ( from this tutorial )thank you

46. mimi_mardiah@yahoo.co.id
    February 7, 2013 / 9:26 am

what a beautiful crochet bag. so lovely and sooo lovey dovey

47. July 17, 2013 / 7:04 am

Thank you for creating this pattern and making it free! I made one for my friend and added a 4th row of ruffles! It is a very good pattern, pretty easy to follow. I am making a second one now and decided to crochet the whole base first the add the ruffles because I only have 1 large skein of the yarn I needed so makes it easier than having a couple skeins at a time.

September 23, 2013 / 9:32 pm

Hi, I love looking at all your creativity, you are very talented.
    If I may, would you please send me this free pattern and any free baby patterns for afghans, shoes, caps etc. Thank U so much.
    sandfromm@msn.com Diane 🙂

49. September 24, 2013 / 11:42 am

Very cute bag!! I have it on my todo list 🙂 thanks for sharing !!

October 9, 2013 / 3:49 pm

I really love this, thanks.

January 19, 2014 / 1:46 pm

so cute, thanks

52. March 2, 2014 / 7:35 am

Such a gorgeous color, very vibrant and fun for summer! I loved it and want to make one. Thanks for sharing the pattern. This is really helpful. I am crazy for handbags. Yesterday too, I bought tory burch handbag online.

53. March 17, 2014 / 6:12 pm

This bag is awesome! I'm so excited to make it. I have just one question. What's the direction for the foundation chain?

January 29, 2015 / 6:59 pm

Thank you for the free pattern. The bag is absolutely gorgeous. I have a weakness for bags. I look forward to making this and showing it off

55. Vicki Kollenberg
    December 19, 2018 / 11:42 am

Can we make the project and sale them. Love the patterns.

December 19, 2018 / 11:48 am

Yes, you are free to sell what you make from my patterns, but please use your own pictures. Thank you for asking.