This free crochet blanket pattern can be worked in just about 3 hours including the time to weave in the ends. If you are planning on making gifts for this Holiday season, this blanket could be your best friend.
All it takes is 2 skeins of Bernat Blanket yarn, 3 hours of your time and voila, you have a squishy blanket. This is a quick beginner pattern with no frills attached. The biggest challenge when designing with chenille or super bulky yarn is to keep the stitch as simple as possible so the yarn and its thickness can take the limelight.
- Super Bulky(size 6) Yarn. Bernat Blanket Yarn in colors Vintage White and Dark Grey were used for the afghan pictured.
- A Size N/P (10mm) crochet hook.
- A Size I (5.5mm) crochet hook for weaving in the tails.
37 inches X 36 inches.
The blanket took 2 skeins of Bernat Blanket yarn, one in each color. If you are substituting with another yarn, know that each skein of Bernat Blanket contains 220 yards each. If you plan to make a bigger blanket, you will obviously need to purchase more yarn for your project.
2 pattern repeats = 4 inches
4 Rows= 5 inches
The pattern is written in US terms.
sc- single crochet
dc- double crochet
Free Crochet Blanket Pattern
Chain 57. If you want to make a wider blanket, you can chain any multiple of 3 + 3 more chains.
- At the end of each row, after you join the next color, you should fasten off your previous color. Working over the yarn tails won’t work for this project.
- To join a new color at the end of a row, when working your last st, pull the new color through when you have 2 loops left on your hook. You will then make the turning ch in the new color joined. You can see a video on changing colors here.
Row 1: 1 sc in the 2nd ch from hook and each ch across to end, join the second color while working your last sc, turn.——-56 sc
Row 2: Ch 3 in new color joined ( counts as first dc here and throughout), sk 1 st, 3 dc in next, *(sk next 2 sts, 3 dc in next), repeat from * until you have 2 sts left, sk next st, 1 dc in last st while joining the next color, turn. ———56 dc
Row 3: Ch 3, sk the next dc, 3 dc in next, *(sk the next 2 dc, 3 dc in next), repeat from * until 2 sts are left, sk the next st, 1 dc on top of beginning ch-3 while joining the next color, turn.——-56 dc
Repeat Row 3 until your blanket is 36 inches. To add to the length of your blanket keep repeating this row to the desired length. Fasten off.
Use a smaller I(5.5mm) hook to weave in the tails as your super bulky yarn may not fit into the eye of your regular yarn needle. Weave in the tails along the top of the triangle formations and not its base.