Chunky Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern- A cuter take on crochet block stitch.
This chunky baby blanket crochet pattern was inspired by the Block stitch. I modified it to make a more tightly woven fabric.
I first tried the traditional block stitch and it left big unsightly gaps in the blanket. So I altered the stitch totally to suit the thickness of Bernat Blanket yarn.
I love the little specks of white in this chunky baby crochet blanket that look like snowdrops. I am thinking of designing a hat in this stitch as well.
This blanket looks really cute but the lighting does not do justice to it. Hopefully, I will get some bright sunny days to rephotograph it soon.
This is my 23rd Bernat Blanket yarn pattern. Once I hit 25, I plan to publish a book of 25 blanket patterns. In the meantime enjoy this new chunky baby blanket.
Chunky Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
1. Bernat Blanket or Bernat Baby Blanket yarn in 3 colors. It is a size 6 super chunky chenille yarn. The colors used for this chunky blanket crochet pattern are Vanilla and Baby Pink from Bernat Baby Baby Blanket yarn and Pale Gray from Bernat Blanket yarn.
2. An N/P (10mm) crochet hook
3. Tapestry needle to weave in the ends.
4. A stitch marker to mark the Right Side of the blanket
36 inches by 42 inches after adding a 1″ border
Baby Pink: 330 yards or 2 skeins of Bernat Blanket yarn
Pale Gray: 170 yards or 1 skein of Bernat Blanket yarn
Vanilla: 170 yards or 1 skein of Bernat Blanket yarn
The pattern is written in US terms.
sc– single crochet
hdc: half double crochet
sl st: slip stitch
YO: yarn over
7 sc sts= 4 inches
More Crochet Blanket Patterns
Chunky Crochet Blanket Pattern for Baby
1. For convenience, we will refer to the colors as pink, gray, and cream.
2. To join a new color yarn while working a sc st, start the sc as usual, and when you have 2 loops on your hook, YO and pull through the new color.
3. To join a new color yarn while working a hdc st, start the hdc st as usual and when you have 3 loops on your hook, YO and pull through the new color.
4. Fasten off after every cream row but just drop the pink or gray yarn to pick up later. You will fasten off the pink and gray yarn only after completing one full stripe in that color.
With pink yarn ch 60. You can chain any even number to start.
Row 1: 1 hdc in 3rd ch from hook (2 skipped chs count as a hdc), and each ch across to end, ch 1 and turn.——–59 hdc
Row 2: 1 sc in 1st st and each st across to beginning ch, 1 sc on top of beginning ch while joining cream color yarn, ch 1 with cream color and turn.——-59 sc
Row 3: 1 sc in 1st st, 1 sc in the next st, *(ch 1, sk 1 st, 1 sc in next st), repeat from * to last st, sk the last st and work 1 sc in beginning ch-1 to keep the edge straight, fasten off but DO NOT TURN. ——–31 sts and 28 chs
Note: Place a marker on the side you worked the cream row to show the Right Side(RS) of the blanket.
Row 4: Working on the same side of the cream row, insert your hook into the first st of the cream row and pull through the pink yarn you dropped earlier, ch 1 with pink yarn, 1 hdc in the 1st st, sk the next st, 2 hdc in the next ch-1 space and each ch-1 space across until you work 2 hdc in the last ch-1 space, sk next st, 1 hdc inserting your hook into the body or post of the last st to keep the edge straight, ch 1 and turn.———-58 hdc
Row 5: Continue with pink yarn, 1 sc in 1st st, 1 sc in each st across to end, and join cream color yarn while working the last sc, ch 1 and turn.—–58 sts
Row 6: 1 sc in 1st st, 1 sc in the next st, *(ch 1, sk 1 st, 1 sc in next st), repeat from * until you work 1 sc in the last st, 1 sc in beginning ch-1 to keep the edge straight, fasten off but DO NOT TURN. ——–31 sts and 28 chs
Repeat Rows 4, 5, and 6 two more times. Fasten off the pink color yarn too as it is the end of the pink stripe.
Repeat Rows 4, 5, and 6 in gray and cream color a total of 4 times.
Work 3 more stripes in the order pink, gray, and pink. Fasten off and turn so the RS is facing up.
1. Weave in all the tails before you start the border. I did not weave in on one side that had fewer tails but just crocheted over it and it worked out fine but it just didn’t work for the other side with lots of tails.
2. The first round of the border is worked in pink color and the second round in cream.
Round 1: With pink yarn, sl st to a corner, 1 sc in the corner, distribute sc sts along the sides as evenly as possible and every time you are near a corner work 2 sc sts on each side of the corner to help you turn. Continue until you reach the corner where you started, work 3 sc in that corner, sl st to the first st. Fasten off.
Round 2: With cream color yarn, sl st to the same corner, ch 1, 2 sc in the corner st, working over the tails, *(1 sc in each st across until you reach the next corner, 2 sc in the st before and after the corner), repeat from * and when you reach the corner where you started, 2 sc in the last st, sl st to the first st. Fasten off.
Finishing the Chunky Crochet Blanket
Weave in any tails left.
More Crochet Blanket Patterns