Alice Button Cowl, Free Crochet Cowl Pattern

Free Crochet Cowl Pattern

Another gorgeous crochet pattern that works up quick! I love everything about this cowl from the coconut shell buttons to the yarn and last but not the least the stitch pattern. It took me just two skeins of Big Twist yarn and it was one of those patterns that grew a mile a minute. Perfect for impatient people like me!

Though the color of this yarn was perfect it was so hard to capture it on camera. I love the name of the yarn color too, Cinnamon. The cloudy day didn’t help at all. I finally had to make my mannequin lie down to get some decent shots.

Crochet Pattern

1. Worsted weight yarn. I used Cinnamon from Big Twist yarns

2. Hook- H (5mm)

3. Yarn needle for weaving in the yarn tails

4. 3 Large wooden buttons. I used coconut shell buttons that are 1 7/8 inches wide.

One size fits all women. Finished Scarf is 35 inches long and 12 inches wide.
15 dc stitches = 5 inches
Around 275 Yards.
The pattern is in standard American terms.
dc- double crochet
Chain 105 +2
Row 1: 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, * ch 3, sk 3 chains, 1 sc in next 2 ch, repeat from * till the end. Turn.——–21 chain loops
Row 2: Ch 3 ( counts as first dc here and throughout), sk next sc, 5 dc in next ch loop, * sk next 2 sc, 5 dc in next ch loop, repeat from * to last 2 sc, sk next sc, 1 dc in last sc ( beginning ch of the first round). Turn. ————21 groups of 5 dc
Row 3 (Right Side): Ch 1 ( counts as first sc here and throughout), sc in next dc, * ch 3, sk 3 dc, 1 sc in next 2 dc, repeat from * to end of row. Turn.
Repeat Rows 2 and 3 till your cowl is 12 inches wide.
Finishing

1. Weave in any tails left.
2. Sew on the buttons to one of the longer sides, The first and last button should be 12 inches apart.

——————–
Check out our collection of crochet patterns: Pattern Gallery

1. November 5, 2015 / 10:02 pm

Love it, I can not wait to make this, I have the perfect color of yarn calling to be made into this beautiful piece!!!

November 9, 2015 / 1:50 pm

really have no idea how its gonna come out..still im gonna try..love it..

3. January 19, 2016 / 1:46 am

I have made 2 of these! Absolutely beautiful. I made one into a prayer shawl. I simply used a larger hook & made 16dc rows instead of 12. Thank you!

January 19, 2016 / 10:13 am

This will make a lovely gift. I am going to start this ASAP.

5. September 27, 2016 / 9:04 am

This is beautiful, sadly the link is not working for me.

• September 28, 2016 / 7:39 pm

Kavitha, email me using my Contact Me form, top of the page, and I can send it as am email attachment.

6. January 8, 2019 / 7:08 am

You produced a lot of incredibly lovely projects. All of them are absolutely beautiful! Cannot wait to make something like that!

7. Anne
    February 19, 2019 / 12:22 am

Hi, I just made the Alice Button Cowl, I love how your instructions are so easy to understand. I do have a dilemma. I used a worsted wight cotton and a larger hook I/5.50 mm. I had to 21 loops as per the pattern and kept crocheting until it measured 12 inches however the width of the cowl is only 30 inches and is too short to wrap around. What can I do to fix this without having to frog it all? Thank you so much

• Shehnaaz
      February 19, 2019 / 8:28 am

Hi Anne, that is why you should check your gauge. Your work is almost 5 inches shorter, mmm…I am sorry, you will have to frog it.

• Anne
        February 19, 2019 / 3:20 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR QUICK REPLY. I AM GOING TO BE BRAVE AND TRY ADDING SEVERAL ROWS OF SINGLE CROCHET TO ONE END. TO THIS I WILL ATTACH THE BUTTONS, THEREFORE THE SINGLE CROCHET SECTION WILL LAY UNDER THE PATTERNED SECTION. WILL ONLY KNOW IF IT IS SUCCESSFUL ONCE I HAVE FINISHED. SORRY FOR THE CAPS, I CAN SEE WHAT I AM WRITING MUCH BETTER THIS WAY….. THANK YOU!