Ocean Waves Scarf, Free Crochet Scarf Pattern Using Caron Cakes Yarn

Made by Dee Leidlein

Wishing all my readers a Happy and Peaceful New Year!  Here is a new free crochet pattern for you using the oh so popular Caron Cakes Yarn – Ocean Waves Scarf. The colors and the stitch pattern reminded me of the calming ocean waves. Just like the name, working this scarf will calm you down.
With its simple two row repeat, it would make a great project to do while watching your favorite show on television. I hope you enjoy working on it. Don’t forget to leave your comments.

The stitch pattern has a beautiful texture but doesn’t take a lot of effort. I love both sides of this stitch. The Caron Cake yarn comes in a range of beautiful colorways and you will definitely find one that suits your taste. I really enjoyed working with this yarn. It isn’t too thick and has great drape for a worsted weight yarn.

You can find the written pattern below or purchase an Ad-free PDF copy for $1.99 here.

Pin it for later:
Pattern
1. Worsted Weight variegated yarn. I used one ball of Caron Cakes in color Cake Pop
2. Hook I (5.5mm)
3. Tapestry needle to weave in the ends.
68 inches long and 7 1/2 inches wide. Length of tassels not included.
Using I hook, 13 dc st= 4 inches
Used up the entire 383 yards of one ball of Caron Cakes.
fpsc- Front post sc
dc- double crochet

Front post single crochet (fpsc): Worked like a regular sc except for the way you insert your hook. The hook is inserted in the same way as working a front post double crochet. See my tutorial on front post double crochet here : Front Post Double Crochet Tutorial
Note: The Scarf is made lengthwise. The more chains you add, the longer your scarf will be. Initial chain should be a multiple of 4+2.
Row 1: Chain 302, 1 sc in 2nd chain from hook, *(Ch 3, sk next 3 chs, 1 sc in next), repeat from * until end of the row, turn.———76 sc
Row 2: Ch 3 ( counts as a dc here and throughout), 1 dc in same st as beginning ch-3, sk next ch-3 loop, *(3 dc in next sc, sk next ch-3 loop), repeat from * until end of row, 2 dc in last sc, turn. ———74  3dc groups with 2 dc on either ends
Row 3: Ch 1, 1 sc in same st as beginning ch 1, *(ch 3, 1 fpsc around the middle dc of the next 3dc group), repeat from * to last 3dc group, ch 3, 1 sc in last dc, turn.———76 sc
Row 4: Ch 3, 1 dc in same st as beginning ch-3, sk next ch-3 loop, *(3 dc in next fpsc, sk next ch-3 loop), repeat from * until end of row, 2 dc in last sc, turn. ———74  3dc groups with 2 dc on either end

Repeat rows 3 and 4 until your scarf is close to 7 1/2 inches wide and you end in Row 4.
Last Row:  Ch 1, 1 sc in same st as beginning ch 1, *(ch 3, 1 sc in the middle dc of the next 3dc group), repeat from * to last 3dc group, ch 3, 1 sc in last dc, turn.———76 sc

Tassels
You might have to use a bigger hook for your tassels. Cut 4 strands of 8 inches each. Fold at the middle of the strands and pull through your scarf to get a loop, yarn over grabbing all the strands and pull through the loop. Tighten the knot. Repeat the steps to attach all the tassels. Trim as needed to level them.
Enjoy your new scarf!
——————
If you love making sacrves, you can chek out my Kaleidoscope Infinity Scarf and my Rose Petals Crochet Scarf too.

January 3, 2017 / 8:55 pm

I bought two blue tones of the caron cakes, I like your pattern! I am going to download the pattern or yours and have a go at it! It looks like it will go into spring….as spring/summer is alway here in NW FL or lower Ala as the locals (me) refer to my area of Florida, B

2. January 8, 2017 / 7:42 am

Hola. es preciosa la bufanda y los colores me han gustado mucho

3. January 9, 2017 / 9:58 pm

Thank you for such a beautiful patter. I've downloaded it so I can print it out once I get ink. lol

4. January 12, 2017 / 5:34 pm

Loe this patter, finished mine the other day. Is there a pattern for a matching hat?

• January 12, 2017 / 6:42 pm

Not yet. I might try a hat in the future. The color changes may not show as much though.

January 21, 2017 / 10:40 pm

Beautiful pattern saw it on Facebook have to make.

6. April 27, 2017 / 8:04 pm

thank you i choose to use the purple caron cakes and i love it!

7. June 19, 2017 / 8:37 pm

I have read and re-read this pattern. My question is how can you chain 302 and only have 76 stitches at the end of rows?

• June 19, 2017 / 11:24 pm

You are skipping chains in between the sc stitches.

8. Twistyloops
    July 16, 2017 / 8:55 pm

Just made the scarf while on my road trip and it's turned out nice! Awesome pattern ??

9. August 21, 2017 / 6:08 pm

Im confused about row 4. "3dc in fpsc". Help! How do I do this step? Any video tutorial for this? I'm stuck ?

• August 22, 2017 / 6:37 pm

You work 3 dc into the same sc st. I am sorry, I do not have a video.

10. November 10, 2017 / 5:31 am

Do you have a hat pattern to match the ocean wave scarf?

• November 10, 2017 / 7:07 pm

I am sorry, I do not have a hat to match this scarf.

November 20, 2017 / 1:51 am

I am trying to figure how much material to buy- How much of each color?

• November 20, 2017 / 2:25 pm

This scarf was made using a multi-color yarn and not by changing colors. If you plan to change colors, divide the total yardage given in the pattern by the number of colors to calculate how much you need to buy.

12. December 14, 2017 / 12:07 am

Love this…it's the 1st pattern I've had work with the caron cakes…everything else I had to frog or I just abandoned

December 31, 2017 / 2:39 am

In the process of making this scarf,love the pattern.Did you start the pattern by using the yarn from the inside of the ball or the outside? Just curious,as I started with the yarn from outside and have noticed the colors are blending before the row ends.Still pretty,but doesn't look like the one in the photo.

• December 31, 2017 / 4:25 am

I always work from the outside of the skein. The colorway I used has subtle color changes, may be that is the reason the color changes are not that stark.

14. Hope Metzler
    October 12, 2018 / 11:41 am

I have been searching for an “interesting” scarf pattern. Something with depth, texture, and that really shows off self-striping yarn. I haven’t started the scarf yet, but it the patterns appears to promise to work up quickly because of the chains and skips. I look forward to this! Thanks for sharing this! Hope

October 12, 2018 / 11:46 am

Hi Hope, Thank you so much for your kind words. I hope you really like the scarf you make from this pattern. I love your name between.

15. Crochet_Dreamz
    October 12, 2018 / 11:46 am

16. Hope Metzler
    October 12, 2018 / 11:52 am

Also, I forgot to ask, how to do you think using the thinner Mandala yarn would turn out? Would it be too thin? Thanks! Hope

October 12, 2018 / 11:59 am

I think it would still look gorgeous. You might have to work more rows and use a smaller hook though.

17. Catherine
    October 23, 2018 / 12:39 am

If I make this scarf and link your website to my online store, am I aloud to resell scarves I make from this pattern? Total understand if the answer is no, just think this pattern is awesome

October 23, 2018 / 7:24 am

Hi Catherine, yes, you are allowed to sell the items you make from my patterns. I am glad you asked. Thank you for visiting my blog.

18. Elaine
    November 2, 2018 / 8:40 pm

Beautiful pattern:) I’m curious as to how many tassels you made for your scarf and how did you space them out?

19. Barbara
    December 17, 2018 / 7:35 am

Awesome scarf!! Do you have a matching hat pattern?

December 17, 2018 / 7:47 am

I am sorry, I do not have a matching hat pattern.

20. Carol
    December 18, 2018 / 10:57 am

I’m doing this in Lion Brand Mandala and it looks great. Using 6mm hook. Planning on making a blanket with this stitch. Thanks for the pattern.

December 18, 2018 / 11:28 am

Hi Carol, I am glad to hear it is turning out lovely. I would love to see it once you are done.