Brooklyn Fingerless Mitts or Wrist Warmers, Free Crochet Pattern

Share the Love!

This crochet fingerless gloves pattern was designed as an afterthought to match my Brooklyn Boot cuffs published last week. I must say,  they make an amazing pair. The crochet pattern uses the same stitch as the Brooklyn boot cuffs and works up in just half the time.

A Crochet Fingerless Gloves pattern that works up in under 2 hours. You will love the stitch. Make a pair today.

Work from the free pattern below or purchase an ad-free PDF for $2.99 here. You will receive a download link once you make payment and click “Return to Merchant”.

Pin it for later: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/51087777004264184/

You can wear it in your cold office rooms or outdoors, a perfect accessory where style meets comfort. Fingerless mitts keep your fingers free to hold a book or text to your heart’s content. What’s more? They are fairly easy to make with very little shaping, unlike the regular mittens.

The stitches used are easy to learn and give it a nice texture. The wooden buttons used are optional and are only for embellishment.

The basic crochet fingerless gloves can be worked in less than two hours and can make a cherished handmade Christmas gift. So grab your hook and a skein of yarn and make a pair today. I promise you-you will be addicted.

1. Worsted weight ( size 4 medium) yarn
2. Hook – G (4.25mm)
3. Two ¾ inch wooden buttons
Using G hook, 16 sc rows worked in back loops = 4 inches
Finished size:3.5 inches wide and 7 ½ inches long
100 Yards for a pair

Extended Single crochet (esc): Insert your hook into the next st and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through one loop, yarn over again and pull through the remaining 2 loops on hook.—–1 esc completed
Work in Back loops or Front loops only: See the picture below to learn what it means to work into back loops only or front loops only. When making a regular stitch the hook is inserted under both the loops as seen in the 1st diagram below but inserted only into one of the loops in case you are working into the back or front loops.
                                                                                  Pic 1

The pattern is in standard American terms.
esc- extended single crochet
sl st- slip stitch

All the pictures have been numbered sequentially and grouped at the end of the written pattern.
Pattern
With G hook chain 12.
Row 1: 1 sc in 2nd chain from hook and each chain across. Turn.————-11 sc
Row 2: Working in back loops only, ch 1 ( not counted as a st), 1 sc in back loop of the same st as ch 1, 1 sc in back loop of next 10 stitches. Turn.—————– 11 sc
2. Sl st the first and last rows together

Repeat Row 2 till your work measures 7 inches. Do not stretch your band while measuring. Now slip stitch the two shorter ends together inserting your hook through the front loops of the stitches on your last row and the free loops on the very first row to form a circular band as shown in Pic 2 above. See Stitch explanation for working in front loops. I got 14 ridges in the band including the ridge formed by slip stitching the ends together. Now the rest of the mittens will be worked in the round.
                                                  3. Work a round of sc across row ends
Round 1: Ch 1( does not count as a st), proceed to work a round of sc all around the band, making 1 sc in each sc row end ( one in each ridge and trough). Sl st to the first sc. Do not turn. See Pic 3 above. ——— 28 sc

Round 2: Ch 3 ( counts as first esc and ch 1), skip 1 st, *(1 esc in next st, ch 1 , skip 1 st), repeat from * till end of the round. You would have reached the beginning ch 3, do not turn.—————- 14 esc in the round.
Note: Esc is the stitch right before it to the right and not the one right on top of it. See Pic 4 below to find out where to insert your hook to make an esc.
                                              4. Shows where to insert you hook to work your esc
Round 3: Work 1 esc in to top of beginning chain 2 of the previous round, place a marker in the esc you just made. The marker will show you where Round 3 started. *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 14 esc
Round 4: 1 esc in marked st, move the marker up in to the esc you just made, ch 1, sk 1 st, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 14 esc
Repeat Round 4 four more times. Every time you reach back near the marked stitch you would have completed one round.
For Left Mitten Only
Next Round ( Round 9) : 1 esc in marked st, move the marker up into the esc you just made, ch 1, sk 1 st, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * 2 times, 1 esc in next esc, chain 3 loosely, skip a total of 3 stitches, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 13 esc
The skipped stitches will form the hole for your thumb.

For Right Mitten Only
Next Round ( Round 9) : 1 esc in marked st, move the marker up into the esc you just made, ch 1, sk 1 st, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * 8 times, 1 esc in next esc, chain 3 loosely, skip a total of 3 stitches, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 13 esc
The skipped stitches will form the hole for your thumb.
Continue for both Right and Left Mittens
Round 10: 1 esc in marked st, move the marker up into the esc you just made, ch 1, sk 1 st, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach the chain 3 of previous round, work 1 esc in to the ch-3 space, ch 1, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till your reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 14 esc
Round 11 & 12: 1 esc in marked st, move the marker up into the esc you just made, ch 1, sk 1 st, *(1 esc in next esc, ch 1, sk 1 st), repeat from * till you reach back near the marked st. Do not turn.—————- 14 esc
Round 13 ( Last Round): 1 regular sc in the marked esc, sl st to the next ch 1. This would have evened out the edges. Ch 1, 1 sc in next st and each st across, sl st to beginning ch 1. Fasten off.
Finishing
Weave in any tails left and sew two wooden buttons onto the ribbed band for embellishment.
A free pattern for a matching pair of boot cuffs can be found here: Brooklyn Boot Cuffs.
You might also like my Faux Cable Mittens found here.
————-
Check out more patterns from Crochet Dreamz: Pattern Gallery

Pin it for later:

Share the Love!

1. November 19, 2014 / 8:50 pm

I cant get the pattern when a click on free pattern it just refreshes the current page. I want Boot cuffs and fingerless mitts

• November 23, 2014 / 5:16 pm

It could be your browser. Kindly email me using the contact me form.

2. November 26, 2014 / 3:16 am

I'm having some trouble with the pattern and need a little help. I tried crocheting the peice as the instructions say but ended up with something completely different than the photo. I looked closer at the photo and saw that the stitches kinda looked like knit stitches? I'm so confused now. I ended up frogging my cuff out of frustration, but have one photo of it half done if it would be of any help. Any tips to make this work would be very much appreciated! Thank you.

• November 27, 2014 / 5:07 pm

Kindly write to me using my Contact Me form and I will help you out. Nope, they are not knit stitches but crochet.

3. Leelou
    December 21, 2014 / 1:07 am

Thanks a lot for sharing these interesting patterns !!!! Leelou

4. January 12, 2015 / 2:30 am

I just finished one of the gloves. I made my cuff quite a bit longer, because I want to fold over about two inches of it and then sew the button on, but otherwise I followed your pattern. It was so easy, about three hours for one glove. Would have been less, but the cats kept running off with my yarn.

5. March 30, 2015 / 6:09 am

Lovely mitts! I like this fingerless mitts. It is so beautiful and colorful.

6. October 19, 2015 / 11:53 am

This is a great pattern. I adjusted it a bit because my hands are big. I work in a drafty office, but may wear them sooner because they are so cute! Also, I airways wanted to know how to crochet ribbing. Thanks for posting this free pattern! Yours truly, Inky Pinky

7. October 30, 2015 / 3:29 am

I am unable to see the pattern for the gloves or boot cuffs�� any suggestion on finding the pattern?

• October 30, 2015 / 6:10 pm

You will find the links at the bottom of the blog post. It will be in blue while the rest of the text is in black.

8. November 4, 2015 / 5:48 am

I want to make these for my daughter but her hands are quite small. How would I adjust the pattern to fit?

9. December 16, 2015 / 10:49 pm

I made these last year and the recipient was so pleased with them I am making another pair this Christmas. Thank you for an easy to follow pattern.

10. April 13, 2016 / 7:56 pm

I downloaded the pattern for the gloves and have made 3 pairs already. Thank you so much for sharing. They are easy to work through. I managed to increase the size for a bigger fit 🙂

11. Zoe
    January 27, 2017 / 4:57 am

Hi love this Patten and looking at giving it a go over the weekend. Being from the UK I just wanted to ask what yarn would work? Also what is ESC stitch . Thanks zoe

• January 28, 2017 / 1:30 am

How to work an Esc is explained under Stitch explanation in the pattern. Any worsted weight yarn can be used. I think you call it Aran in UK.

12. October 26, 2017 / 9:37 pm

I really wish there were a video tutorial with these mittens, I would love to make them but for the life of me I truly suck at written patterns 🙁

13. November 3, 2017 / 4:15 am

When I start round 4 through 8 and do ESC, ch 1, sk st… Do I basically just go into each ESC, skipping the ch1 in between? Like the diagram showing the arrows, pic 4? I'm surprised this feels a little too tight for me, because typically everything is too big!

• November 3, 2017 / 2:42 pm

Yes, you are right. Some people tend to chain tightly even if they work other stitches normally. You might have to switch to a bigger hook if it looks tight.

14. November 28, 2017 / 10:28 pm

I can't wait to try this adorable pattern out and (if it really works up in 2 hrs 🙂 ) will be making some for the teachers for Christmas presents!

• November 29, 2017 / 3:55 pm

I am glad you like the pattern. Thank you visiting my blog.

15. December 25, 2017 / 12:20 am

thank you for your patterns. I love the look of your Brooklyn Boot Cuffs and Fingerless Mitts and I was really hoping that you have a hat to go with this set.

16. Annette
    January 20, 2019 / 1:52 pm

I love this pattern but I guess I’m the only one not getting it….. I can’t figure out how to make the thumb hole. I also can’t find a video. Help!

January 20, 2019 / 4:55 pm

The ch 3, skip 3 sts in Round 9 will form the thumbhole. I am sorry, I do not have a video for this pattern yet.

17. Zoya Raza
    December 26, 2019 / 11:44 pm

Hey! I just made baby blue fingerless gloves with this pattern and they turned out so well! Thanks for the pattern
    Just one problem though: they’re quite loose on my wrist. Any fixes?

18. Destiny
    January 4, 2020 / 4:31 pm

I was wondering if I could do a foundation single stitch? And how I would go about working that into the pattern.

• Shehnaaz
      January 10, 2020 / 8:30 pm

For the ribbing part, you can start with a foundation single crochet of you want.